Lovely Lavatera: when to plant seeds to enjoy flower beds in summer?
The flowering plant Lavatera trimestris (Lavatera trimestris) is one of the species of the Malvaceae family. She appeared in the gardens of Europe and Asia in ancient times. Over the past 300 years, as a result of selection, many varieties of this flower have appeared. The strong, erect stems of the plant with long lateral branches are covered with bright green leaves and many funnel-shaped flowers. Lavatera fell in love with many thanks to its beauty, unpretentiousness and became a true decoration of gardens and personal plots.
When to plant Lavatera seeds: general timing
Lavatera seeds are not too small and have a high germination rate. Amicable shoots appear within a week. Sowing seeds in the ground should be done when the ground warms up to a temperature of 15 ° C and there is no longer any threat of frost.
Flower, boll and seeds of annual lavater
Flowers on plants bloom two months after germination. Taking into account the climatic characteristics, the recommendations are as follows:
- In southern regions with a warm climate, it is necessary to sow seeds in the ground in early April. Growing lavater from seeds is the best way for these places.
- In the middle lane, sowing seeds in the ground is possible in early May, in this case flowers will appear in July. To bring flowering closer, the seedling method is used with planting seeds for seedlings in March.
In some cases, growing with the help of seedlings is preferable on the basis of such considerations: while the seedlings are growing up at home, you can carefully prepare a place for planting it.
The best days to plant in 2019 according to the lunar calendar: table
The theory of the influence of the Moon on the rhythms of plant development claims that all activities related to the cultures in which we want to develop the above-ground part should be carried out with the growing moon, that is, during the periods when the moon is in the first two quarters of the lunar cycle. At the moment the moon passes through certain zodiacal constellations, its influence either increases or decreases.
Based on the lunar calendar, you can find out when is the best time to plant lavender when grown from seed.
What varieties to choose for your garden
When deciding which seed variety to buy, you need to plan exactly how these flowers will look in the garden. Whether it will be a tall trellis strewn with large single-color flowers, or a separate group of exotic colored plants, or a multi-colored flower bed with medium-sized flowers.
When purchasing seeds, you should familiarize yourself with the description of the variety and pay attention to the height of the stem and color of the flowers. The rest of the varieties of Lavater are similar to each other. Plants bloom throughout the summer. Despite the fact that each flower lives only a few days, more and more new buds bloom to replace it.
This variety grows up to 90 cm, flowers of bright pink color with a silvery bloom and bright stripes reach a diameter of 10 cm.
Melange is a cold-resistant and unpretentious variety. The height of the plant can reach 1 m, and flowers up to 10 cm in size can have a color from snow-white and light pink to scarlet.
The name of the Mont Blanc variety is associated with a snowy peak. Plants are up to 90 cm high and have large snow-white flowers.
Silk and cashmere
The 80 cm high variety has very large salmon and bright pink flowers, collected in racemose inflorescences. The very long sturdy stems of the flowers make them suitable for cutting.
The variety has a height of up to 50 cm and is suitable for creating borders.
In the Novella lavater, the first graceful openwork flowers bloom early, when it is still low, only 20 cm.Further, it continues to grow up to 60 cm.
The Altai variety is distinguished by its hardiness to unfavorable conditions. It grows up to a height of 60 cm, has bright flowers up to 9 cm.
The variety seduces with the delicate color of its inflorescences.
Plants of the Rubin variety with its low, strong stems 50 cm high and large up to 10 cm bright red flowers, planted in a compact group, form a spectacular bright bush.
Thuringian Lavatera (Lavátera thuringíaca) is another species of the mallow family that can decorate the garden and thrive in any climate. This perennial lavatera has several decorative, showy varieties, for example, Barnsley Baby, which grows up to 2 m and is famous for its delicate pink flowers.
How to sow seeds and care for seedlings
When preparing seeds, you should pay attention to their age. Good germination is guaranteed for two years, in the third year the germination ability is lost by more than 50%. Seed stratification is optional.
The soil for planting lavatera seeds is prepared by mixing equal parts of garden soil and humus.
When planting seedlings, it is advisable to make it in such a way as to exclude the picking stage in the future.
- Prepare containers with drainage holes at least 10 cm deep, cover the bottom with a drainage layer (expanded clay, pebbles).
- Fill the container with prepared soil and pour water over it.
- Plant the seeds no deeper than 1 cm at intervals of 5 cm, then cover with transparent material.
- Remove condensation periodically and moisten the ground as needed.
- Provide good lighting when seedlings emerge.
- After a week, remove the shelter, lower the temperature to avoid excessive stretching of the seedlings.
When planting in the ground:
- Pour the prepared soil with warm water, plant the seeds in holes 1 cm deep, sprinkle with earth and cover with foil.
- When the seedlings rise to a height of 5 cm, remove the shelter, water as needed.
- Weed and loosen the soil in a timely manner.
During the entire period before planting in a permanent place, carefully monitor the condition of the seedlings: moisten the soil and loosen it in time, ensure uniform illumination. At the stage of 4-6 leaves, the seedlings are ready for planting in a permanent place. By the time of planting in the ground, the seedlings will be strong enough, but not overgrown.
How to maintain the beauty of a Lavatera all summer long
Finished seedlings should be planted in a permanent place after the last frost.
Lavatera is unpretentious, but on well-fertilized, compost-containing and humus soil, it will reach its maximum height and abundant flowering.
It is advisable to consider the following in the final determination of a permanent location:
- tall plants will soon need support, since even strong stems cannot withstand strong gusts of wind and squally rain;
- high varieties can eventually lose leaves and flowers at the bottom of the stem, so it is recommended to place lower plants in front of them;
- when planting a perennial variety, remember that in this place the plant will grow for several years, form a voluminous tall bush and will also need support.
Seedlings should be planted at a distance of 15-25 cm, depending on the variety, in circular groups or three-four-row trellises.
The use of lavater in landscape design with flowerpots is not limited
Further care is as follows:
- with a prolonged absence of precipitation, the plants must be watered abundantly;
- exclude deep loosening;
- a month after planting, fertilize with complex fertilizers;
- tie up too spreading plants to a support so that they do not look sloppy;
- for more abundant flowering, remove faded flowers, preventing seeds from forming;
- withering flowers after rain or watering not only lose their attractiveness, but also damage the leaves, they must be removed in time.
Disadvantages of caring for a tall lavater - falling bushes and careless appearance of the entire composition
- the lack of support for tall varieties leads to the collapse of plants;
- unremoved fruit pods inhibit the appearance of new flower buds;
- fading flowers completely lose their beauty after a shower.
Due to the fact that the lavatera is a fast-growing, very bright plant with many shades, the experimental gardener can transform his garden every year, coloring it in different ways, like an artist painting with large strokes. To do this, he does not need much work or much time.
Rate the article:
(6 votes, average: 5 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Wild rose prefers a warm climate, however, it feels great in central Russia, where it can grow even on poor rocky land. The shrub is not afraid of the hot sun, drought, frost and winds, besides, the lavatera is completely undemanding to the composition of the soil.
Suitable for planting a wild rose soil with any composition... But it should be borne in mind that a more ornamental plant will grow on fertile land.
Light, well-drained soil is ideal for growing Lavatera. Tall varieties require the construction of additional trellises and supports.
As for the choice of the planting site, the preference should be given well illuminated sunny areas... This is explained by the fact that in partial shade and shade, the flowers do not fully open and do not give a beautiful flowering.
Description of the lavater, photo
Lavatera is a representative of the Malvov family, in appearance it looks like bushes with small bells. The plant is compact and practically completely covered with flowers... The homeland of the wild rose is considered to be North Africa and Southern Europe.
Today hautma widespread all over the world, including regions with temperate climates. Growing a plant with seeds is not a very difficult process, and given the fact that a wild rose reproduces by self-sowing, you don't have to worry about further planting at all. It remains only to adjust the boundaries of the flower garden.
Plant care is about timely watering, fertilizingforming a crown weeding weeds. Perennial varieties require preparation for winter, annual ones - harvesting of dried and faded plants. Hutma can be grown on a balcony or windowsill.
An annual wild rose, when planted in a well-lit area, forms spherical bush... Plant height - 0.6-1.2 m. A huge number of buds in varying degrees of maturation ensure continuous flowering of the lavatera from the moment the first flowers open until frost.
The nature of the location, shape and color of the inflorescences depends on the variety. Experienced growers grow several types of lavater on their site at once, thereby creating a voluminous flower garden with bushes of different sizes and colors.
Popular varieties of annual wild roses include the following:
- Tangara is a small bush (up to 0.5 m). The buds are funnel-shaped, deep red.
- Mont Blanc. An annual bush up to 60 cm high, the inflorescences are large, white.
- Silver cap is an annual with lilac, silver or bright pink flowers. Plant height - up to 60 cm. Flowering - from July to October.
- The beauty is a profusely blooming annual variety, the height of the bush is up to 60 cm. The flowers are red, dark pink, pink and white.
- Three-month Lavater. Plant height - up to one m. Flowers are white and pink.
- Ruby carpet is an original plant with ruby flowers.
Of the perennials, the variety should be noted Lavatera Thuringian... It is a perennial, up to 2 m high, with large inflorescences (more than 5 cm) of a purple or pastel shade. Flowering continues until October.
Dwarf perennial varieties:
- Byte Sherub. Even when the ideal growing conditions are created, the height of the plant does not exceed 35 cm. The flowers are funnel-shaped, white.
- Pink beauty. The maximum plant height is 40 cm. The buds are deep pink in color with dark veins characteristic of this species.
- Novella. Differs in early flowering and is perfect for growing as a pot culture, since in a limited space the height of the bush is no more than 20 cm.
In addition, there are other varieties of wild rose, differing in the shape of the inflorescence, flowering time, bush size and color shades.
Breeding methods for Lavater
Perennial and annual wild rose grown from seed... Sowing is done in the spring after the end of frost. If you want to please yourself with the early flowering of a wild rose, then the seeds must be sown for seedlings in late February or early March.
The optimal timing for planting a lavater in the ground:
- End of February-March. Seeds are sown in room boxes for seedlings.
- March, April. In regions with a warm climate, seeds are sown in open ground.
- End of April-May. Seedlings are planted and seeds are sown in the ground.
Listen to the article
- Landing: sowing seeds in the ground - in late April or early May: sowing seeds for seedlings - in early March, planting seedlings in the ground - from mid to late May.
- Lighting: bright sunlight.
- The soil: loose, light, well-drained, not too fertile.
- Watering: moderate, but in drought it is regular and abundant.
- Garter: tall varieties need to be tied to supports that are installed during planting.
- Top dressing: only when grown in very poor soils, once every 4-8 weeks with a complex mineral fertilizer.
- Reproduction: seed.
- Pests: aphid.
- Diseases: rust.
Flowers lavatera (lat.Lavatera), or khatma, or wild Rose, belong to the genus of trees, shrubs and herbs of the Malvaceae family. The genus is not numerous, there are only about 25 species, growing mostly in Australia, East Asia and the Mediterranean. The plant was named Lavater in honor of the Lavater brothers, famous naturalists and doctors from Switzerland in the 17th century. In garden culture, the plant has been known since the 16th century, but it hit the trend twenty years ago - these tall beauties with bright and delicate flowers did not grow in a rare courtyard then. Today the garden lavater is as popular as it was two decades ago.
The most popular varieties with photos
Botanists have about 25 types of lavater, but flower growers usually plant only two. Perennial Lavatera, or Thuringian (Thuringian), in the first year of life, actively develops the root system and increases the deciduous mass, flowering begins only the next summer. Three-month-old lavater ripens faster. Flowering begins already in the year of planting. This type is preferred by gardeners. The cultivators have developed dozens of varieties that differ in the size of the plant, as well as in the shape and shade of the buds.
Lavatera variety "Krasotka" blooms profusely from July to September inclusive
Tall plant with bluish-green foliage. Lush flowering, long-lasting. The buds are varied in color, from crimson to snow-white, petals with a mother-of-pearl sheen.
This variety of Lavater is well suited for cutting
Compact plants up to 70 cm in height, ideal for planting in flowerpots. Drought-resistant, tolerates short-term drop in temperature well. The flowers are very large, pink-crimson with darker stripes.
Lavatera variety "Melange" is not very demanding on the type of soil
A good variety for the middle zone and the north, tolerates drought, cold-tolerant. Reaches a height of 90 cm, flowers are large, elegant, white, reddish-scarlet, strawberry shade.
This variety of Lavatera is perfect for decorating flower beds and prefabricated flower beds.
Medium-sized plant, highly branched. Abundant flowering begins in June and lasts the entire season.The flowers are very large, pure white, without veins.